Monday, July 12, 2010

Respecting Our Historic Sites



Here are my thoughts about investigating an historic site.

I feel that it is the right of those who are in charge of the historic site as to how they want to be perceived to the public. There are those who run historic sites that embrace the paranormal, folklore and legends that are associated with their site. On the flip side, there are others who run historic sites that do not wish to promote any of the paranormal, folklore or legends that are associated with their site. I respect their decision to disassociate from the paranormal because most historic sites are run by a board of directors or a historical society that may answer to the local county, state, corporations, or funding sources that would frown upon them being associated with any mention of the paranormal. These funding sources are what keep the historic sites open and preserved. Theses funding sources desire that their sites to be acknowledged for its history and not the paranormal. When I approach an historic site about the paranormal activity that has been reported at their site, I will present what we can offer and want to do in a positive light. I am up front and will offer everything in writing to those in charge of the site. If those who are in charge of the historic site do not want our findings made public I honor the sites wishes.

I have investigated several historic sites that are linked to paranormal activity that may belong to the current owners parents, siblings, husband or wife. If I were to release these findings it would be too personal to share with the public. It is one thing to be 4 or more generations separated from the spirit haunting then having your loved one being the spirit that is lingering. I respect their wishes to keep that information private.

Unfortunately, there are others in this field that do not share the respect for honoring the wishes of those with the historic site. These are people who are takers, people who assume that everyone wants the story to be told at any cost, and that everyone wants their name published. Persons who do not respect a verbal contract with the site and its tour guides I truly dislike and do not want to be associated with in any way. When you break your clients trust that is everything. All you have is your reputation. Personally, it makes me physically ill to know that in some way I may have harmed not only the site but those who love and take care of it. When the sites owners or tour guide allows access to areas that are off limits and state verbally that you are not to print, publish or tell anyone about it, that is what they mean, “do not tell.” A verbal contract is to be honored just as much as a written contract. That is why I encourage historic sites to get not only verbally but in writing exactly what they will and will not allow to be printed photographed and released to the public during paranormal investigations, interviews with radio/TV hosts, and writers. I am upfront and put everything in writing with our Spirited History Investigations.

I have seen first hand what this can do to a beloved historic site and those that love and take care of it each and everyday. Right now two amazing docents may not only loose their jobs but one may also loose their home and their spouses job due to someone not honoring a verbal contract. Turns my stomach.

Experiencing this has really helped me see how I do and do not want to work in the paranormal field with historic sites. Please stop and think before you print and publish, be up front with all sites about what you are doing and ask permission to print their names. It is best to get the permission in writing so there are no misunderstandings and harm done.

(c)LAB2010

This is just my 2 cents. I needed to purge a bit of this…been holding it in for awhile.

Blessing to everyone and thanks for reading!

LeeAnne
Co-Host Spirited History
www.spiritedhistory.com

No comments:

Post a Comment